[governance] Does it matter which legal system ICANN operates under?

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Jun 12 07:17:00 EDT 2013

Interesting question Kerry. I don't think the legal jurisdiction of
ICANN moving would make any difference to the circumstances you outline.
What is much more important is the actuality that the US Government is
the administrator of the IANA database. So regardless of where you might
choose the geographically locate ICANN, and regardless of which laws
might govern ICANN etc, the fact remains that the US Government has the
power and authority over the database that controls the Internets unique
identifiers.

Unless you could enthuse a large number of ccTLD managers, the RIRs and
the Root Server operators to operate an alternate database, this issue
remains at the heart, with the appearance of US Government unilateral
control.

Cheers

Keith Davidson