[governance] Asking the U.S. government to allow Google to publish more national security request data

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 12 04:55:36 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 11 June 2013 11:29 PM, McTim wrote:
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/asking-us-government-to-allow-google-to.html

Good to write this letter. And we understand, Google has not faced
anything close to the trust deficit with non US customers that if faces
today with PRISM related disclosures. I already see people around me,
especially NGOS etc, that they would want to move out of gmail. google
doc etc.... So, this letter to me is pure PR, and damage control...

I would like to see if they made any similar request to US gov before
Edward Snowden happened. US government can of course neither prohibit
them from writing such requests, nor sharing them publicly -- in any
case, they can certainly be shared now. Any such request made before the
issue went public despite google and the US gov is what would really count.

parminder