[governance] Does it matter which legal system ICANN operates under?

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Tue Jun 11 18:44:21 EDT 2013

> If you are a Canadian - then it is key that you direct your focus to institutional
> actors  in Canada who are involved in Internet governance, privacy, etc.
>
> The Canadian Internet Registry Authority (CIRA), Industry Canada and the
> Privacy commissioners (both at a national and provincial level) are institutions
> which you should engage. Key academic centres such as the Citizen Lab and
> CIPPIC are also involved in bringing a rights based approach to Canadian
> policy.

I'm on the CIRA board of directors. I'm also one the founding members of ISOC Canada. :) I agree that working with groups within your country is the best way to solve the privacy issue.

> ICANN, if i'm not mistaken (and i'm not a lawyer) gets most of its authority
> from contracts it has with all the different stakeholders. One has to
> distinguish what ICANN does to the different contracted parties - such as the
> root zone operators.
>
> ICANN is , in my opinion - a coordinating organization. It is the contracted
> parties and key intermediaries (such as telcos) who are subject to legal lawful
> access requests. It is the later I believe we should focus our efforts on and
> not ICANN..

I agree. My point was that some people seem to be conflating the two issues and are using the recent government spying controversy to suggest moving ICANN out of US jurisdiction is a good thing. I don't think there is any connection between the two but it seems some people on this list think there is.

Kerry Brown