[governance] EuroDIG: Flash Session on Surveillance

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jun 11 08:21:08 EDT 2013

A speaker?  Someone from the european parliament who has been participating in discussions of new data protection directive -- draft proposals that have been subject to unfortunately very successful lobbying by U.S. govt and business over the past year.  Seen the data protection proposals greatly watered down, to the extent that there were concerns the final proposals would possibly weaker than existing 1995 Directive.  Hopefully the horrors (tm :-) ) of the past few days have reversed that (question: have they?)  Are we now likely to see stronger personal data protections than seemed to be the case just a week ago.

Might also ask any panel on cloud computing (is there one?) if PRISM might affect business models.

Adam