[governance] Have there been any statements re: PRISM from the "technical community"

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 17:38:49 EDT 2013

McTim /et al/

On Kafka we can always agree :)

But we differ on first principles. As stated in the thread on
internationalisation (of yours and Milton's), we disagree at the level
of first principles. The freedom/liberty/voluntrism implicit in those
articulations is one I characterised of a particular kind, as Fischer I
think wrote - free to choose; which I did not share. The repost at that
time from more heterodox views appended, free to loose. It is a
particular type of voluntrism - where everyone is free to sleep under
bridges, rich or poor. Kinda like Marie Antoinette who allegedly said,
why don't they eat cake. I doubt she said it because of her type of
upbringing as later historians argue as she was brought up with strict
noblesse oblige and was active in caring for the destitute despite her
privileges.

For purposes of taking matters forward, if constructive action/s are
possible in this vein, perhaps you could clarify your views on
internationalisation, multistakeholderism (equity in representation of
estates, public interest, commercial sector, revolving door appointed
'regulators'), legitimacy of governance of CIR including ICANN. You have
been vocal on this so perhaps you do not want to go through these, but I
do think it may dispel any misapprehensions of others on your views some
critiques/dialogues of ours may have caused.

Then there is the procedural aspects of political practice (not right or
wrong, just about processes; kinda yes/no) regarding the relevance of
IGC list discussion on - whether there is a common set of issues between
the technical and regulatory/public interest; - the US ecosystem of laws
and institutions as a subject of debate for the Global Internet; - the
role and practice of corporations in internet governance; procedures for
selection of and composition of technical team members; - whether it is
a valid democratic option to opt not to deal with ICANN and related
institutions to object to their illegitimacy, whether (legitimate)
vested interests have the same standing as public interests,  and if the
same standards of universal human rights and democratic norms should
apply to all countries.

Since you feel pilloried, and I have my notes, this may clarify it for
others - far be it for me to characterise your views at this point. As
you know, chopping the head off of the many hydra that is Internet
Governance and replacing it with a legitimate one while retaining all
other arrangements (for incremental change) is valid for discussion as
is the Parminder/ IT4Change proposals (not speaking for them, just a
reference). This is no less idealistic than your utopian/conception of
government '/free/' internet governance (italics because the state is
still called upon to regulate and enforce property rights - the /a
priori/ contradiction at the heart of many libertarian views, just fyi :).

Riaz