[governance] Update on the intervention at HRC

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 10 13:39:39 EDT 2013

From a posting by Deborah Brown <deborah at accessnow.org> on the IRP
and BestBits mailing lists...

Greetings,
Norbert

--snip-----------------------------------------------------------------

A quick update here:

   - The intervention was made this afternoon at the HRC by APC and
   Reporters Without Borders (through HRW, who was physically present in
   Geneva and generously helped out). I've attached the shorter version
     that Therese from HRW actually delivered, but please note in any
     communication that officially it was APC and RSF that delivered
     the statement, not HRW. In the actual intervention, Therese noted
     that the statement was on behalf of over 30 organizations from all
     over the world, which was the count at the time of the
     intervention.
   - The longer version of the statement (the one that is posted on Best
   Bits) is posted on the HRC extranet here:
   https://extranet.ohchr.org/sites/hrc/HRCSessions/RegularSessions/23rdSession/OralStatements/APC_32.pdf(username:
hrc extranet/password: 1session) You should all have PDF of the
   final document that Anriette circulated a few hours ago.
   - For those wishing to see the webcast, it should be archived later
   today or tomorrow. It should be labeled something along the lines of
     "23rd Regular Session of the Human Rights Council (27 May - 14
     June 2013) 15h00-: General debate on item 8 – Vienna Declaration
     of Action" somewhere on this page:
   http://webtv.un.org/live-now/watch/23rd-regular-session-of-the-human-rights-council-27-may-14-june-2013/2178978643001/
   - Tunisia delivered a cross-regional statement on behalf of a broad
   group of governments on the internet and human rights. The core group
   organizing this statement was led by Sweden, includes Brazil,
     Nigeria, Tunisia, Turkey, and USA. The statement is good, but does
     not reflect the recent developments on State surveillance at all.
     Perhaps we can use the statement in further advocacy. Here's the
     cross regional statement
     https://extranet.ohchr.org/sites/hrc/HRCSessions/RegularSessions/23rdSession/OralStatements/Tunisia_32.pdf(same
     password as before) and I've also drafted it in drop box:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3fj55tyt6fvout/HRCcrossregionalstatementonInternet%26HR.pdf

I think that's all for now. Looking forward to continuing this dialogue
on surveillance on the Internet and next steps.

Warm regards,
Deborah

{long message trail deleted here -- nb}

--