[governance] FW: [IP] NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secrAnet files reveal | World news | guardian.co.uk

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 10:19:21 EDT 2013

In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given
to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same
tendency to render the head too large for the body. *A standing military
force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to
liberty. The means of defence against foreign danger have been always
the instruments of tyranny at home.* Among the Romans it was a standing
maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all
Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved
the people.

  * Speech, Constitutional Convention
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Convention> (1787-06-29
    <http://en.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?title=1787-06-29&action=edit&redlink=1>),
    from Max Farrand's /Records of the Federal Convention of 1787,/ vol.
    I [1]
    <http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llfr&fileName=001/llfr001.db&recNum=494&itemLink=D?hlaw:5:./temp/%7Eammem_kmli::%230010495&linkText=1>
    (1911), p. 465