[governance] Revised Draft IGC Statement #DRM in HTML5

Kossi Amessinou amessinoukossi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 11:17:47 EDT 2013

Dear all,
We can not destroy the use of innovation among young people in developing
countries by the standard introduction of further restrictions in the
environment of the web and mobile web.
I am confident that the initiative is not aimed at a targeted restriction
friends that can give this interpretation. For that reasons, i suggest the
W3C to revise its copy.

2013/6/5 Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com

> Dear All,
>
> Further to the discussions on the mailing list, I have revised the first
> version to the one below. I have highlighted the sentence still in
> contention and also note that there are mixed reactions to the balance of
> the protection of intellectual property rights through mediums like the DRM
> to protect innovation and challenges to threats of impeded "Access". This
> is a very interesting debate and one I believe should be thoroughly
> explored by the IGC where we can come to some common ground (if we are able
> to). I have not had the time to read Frank La Rue's new report but it would
> be interesting to see his report of what the world is saying in relation to
> this conflict. I am of course interested in what the IGC has to say.
>
> Roland and Avri raised some very interesting points that deserve
> discussion. As we speak, the Statement will be hosted on the Statement
> Workspace on the IGC website. I have tried to capture every comment in the
> attached document. I find that Statement Workspaces are far more effective
> in neatly allowing people to comment on each sentence etc, so my apologies
> if the attached document is inherently messy.
>
> What are your collective thoughts on what Roland suggested that whilst
> there are many battles, this is not one we should spend time on? The key
> issues for your deliberation would be:-
>
>    - What is the IGC's position on Digital Rights Management?
>    - What is the IGC's position on Digital Rights Management in HTML 5?
>
> Thank you to all those for suggesting text and new wordings and phrases. I
> have tried to capture your views below. All the mistakes are of course
> mine. Let us have your thoughts. As soon as the Statement is on the
> Workspace, Norbert will inform us and this will allow us to track comments
> on the revised  statement.
>
> *Revised Draft Statement on Support for EFF’s Objection*
>
> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) objects to the
> inclusion of digital rights management (DRM) in HTML5. We endorse and
> support the formal objection lodged by the Electronic Frontier Foundation
> (EFF) and that the draft proposal from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
> could stifle Web innovation and block access to content for people across
> the planet.
>

> We believe that the proposed standard by W3C is a serious threat to an
> open and free internet. The inherent danger of the proposal would be to
> shut out open source developers and competition, destroy interoperability
> and lock in legacy business models.
>

>  Much of the developing world relies on open source developers to
> enable OR CREATE mechanisms that allow for an open environment of sharing
> resources related to agricultural practices, education, health and diverse
> content. In such regions, access to information is a challenge and with
> serious resource constraints, but it is an open and free internet (and the
> [...]

AMESSINOU Kossi
Ingénieur des TIC
ICT Engineer
Contact: 00229 95 19 67 02
skype: amessinou
@amessinou @bigf
Que Dieu vous bénisse
Je suis un serviteur de celui qui est, qui était et qui vient, pour la
gloire de notre DIEU au milieu des HOMMES.