[governance] Draft Statement #DRM HTML5/ was [Should the IGC support Formal Objection by EFF?] #DRM in HTML5

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jun 3 12:37:43 EDT 2013

In message
<77A59FC9477004489D44DE7FC6840E7B21FE01 at SUEX10-mbx-08.ad.syr.edu>, at
14:51:05 on Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> writes
>Proper question is: Why should DRM on a Disney Movie download be baked
>into html5?

The ability for Disney to turn on DRM is a perfectly legitimate thing to
be "baked in" as you say.

Content providers who are DRM-refuseniks don't have to turn on DRM for
their products, which will continue to be freely available.

You might surmise that I don't think being prevented from stealing a
Disney movie is very high up on my list of reasons to be sorry for
someone developing Open Source software in a developing country.

There are plenty of battles to fight, but this does not seem to me to be
one of them.

--
Roland Perry