[governance] Draft Statement #DRM HTML5/ was [Should the IGC support Formal Objection by EFF?] #DRM in HTML5

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jun 3 10:33:31 EDT 2013

In message
<CAEP5zKR68-m9b-raJ33jGoCcC6o2wB6M5wN+52PiTDEZf3+X4g at mail.gmail.com>, at
14:08:55 on Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Chaitanya Dhareshwar
<chaitanyabd at gmail.com> writes
>Hi Roland, as at the end of the first para, "The inherent danger of the
>proposal would be to shut out open source developers and competition,
>destroy interoperability and lock in legacy business models."

That merely restates my question. Why does DRM shut out those people who
would not use it anyway (eg the Open Source folks).

Meanwhile, surely their innovation would be to distribute their own
world-class movies, without DRM (as well as the software they are more
normally known for).

--
Roland Perry