[governance] African School on IG: call for applications

Babatope Soremi babatope at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 06:14:36 EDT 2013

Great news Anriette. Seems your link below has a slight error though.

Best Regards,

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is fantastic Anriette. :)
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jun 3, 2013, at 9:27 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear all
> >
> > I am very pleased to be announcing the call for applications for the
> > first African School on Internet Governance (ASIG) scheduled to take
> > place from 10-12 July, immediately prior to the ICANN meeting in Durban
> > South Africa. Thanks to the many people - including those on on this
> > list - who have contributed the input and support that managed to get us
> > to the point of being able to launch ASIG next month.
> >
> > Details below and in the attached PDF. Please distribute widely.
> >
> > Anriette
> >
> > *Call for Applications to Participate in the First African School on
> > Internet Governance in Durban South Africa, July 2013*
> >
> > The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) and the NEPAD
> > Planning and Coordinating Agency–e-Africa Programme are pleased to
> > announce the call for applications for the first African School on
> > Internet Governance to be held in Durban, South Africa, from 10-12 July
> > 2013.
> >
> > Internet Governance (IG) is usually defined as the development and
> > application, by governments, the private sector, and civil society of
> > principles, policies, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and
> > programmes that shape the evolution and use of the internet. While few
> > contest the definition itself, the respective roles, responsibility,
> > power and influence of various stakeholder groups continue to be the
> > subject of intense debate. Also contested is the institutional ecosystem
> > within which decisions that impact on the internet are being made, as
> > well as the principles on which such governance should be based.
> >
> > What is not contested is that (a) IG is complex and and participating
> > effectively in IG processes is not easy, (b) African participation in
> > IG, be it in technical, social or political spheres, is insufficient and
> > (b) few African countries have established sustainable open and
> > inclusive policy discussion forums where government, civil society,
> > businesses and technical people are able to interact effectively and
> > collaborate to develop consistent national and institutional strategies
> > aimed at mobilising the internet for economic, social, political and
> > cultural development.
> >
> > The first Summer School on IG <http://www.euro-ssig.eu/> (SSIG) was held
> > in Europe in Meissen in July 2007. It has become an annual event and has
> > given rise to the South School on IG
> > <http://www.gobernanzainternet.org/> held annually in Latin America for
> > the last four years and an Asia Pacific school that took place in 2011.
> > The African School on IG will build on their experience but customise
> > session content to meet the needs of African IG interest groups. We will
> > utilise the expertise that exists within the continent as well as that
> [...]

Babatope Soremi

A destructive means can not bring about a constructive end....

TB

Quality is never an accident. It is always the result of intelligent
effort.

*John Ruskin *