[governance] [Should the IGC support Formal Objection by EFF?] #DRM in HTML5

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Jun 2 08:23:41 EDT 2013

Hi,

I sometimes think polls are necessary, but then we are almost  into voting.
The other problem with polls is that they don't ask for a reason for being against the attempted consensus.

But they can be a useful tool on occasion for determining the difference between no support, some support and a lot of support.

Also:
Maybe for these sort of things we need a simple form letter.

--

Para 1 - we are the IGC and the IGC is this. Do we have this from the last statement?
Para 2 - After following IGC process, the IGC has reached consensus in support of (identification of thing being supported)

Sincerely
Co-ordinators of IGC

--

And if we all reached consensus for the same reason we can include:

para. 2.5 we support this because (consensus reasons go  here) But this is a hard para. to write and get agreement on in a group as diverse as this is.

One of the primary (strengths, weaknesses) of the IGC is its diversity.  When we can get off our differences long enough to find the commonalities, our statements have significance. - people know that we have a lots of [stuff] to overcome in coming to consensus, and when a group this diverse reaches consensus, that is something.

avri