[governance] Letter from U.S. Senator Rockefeller to ICANN on new TLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 30 23:57:50 EDT 2013

On Sunday 30 June 2013 08:48 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Oh, OK, if Icann is "thinking" about it, problem solved :)

Maybe I am over perceiving it, but to me it looks lke the end of the
road for closed generics... I mean it is very difficult to find a
plausible 'public interest purpose' to allocate .book exclusively to
Amazon and .beauty to L' Oreal..... Maybe someone like /International
Federation of Library Associations /could still be handed over .book,
but as for closed generics owned by corporate houses I dont see it going
forward after this. However, happy to hear other views. And in case it
really is still quite open, maybe IGC should write to ICANN against
closed generics, especially now that even ALAC, which was quite
ambivalent all the while, has endorsed GAC's advice on closed
generics.... Havent seen any NCUC statement on GAC advice yet though....

parminder