[bestbits] [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jul 30 06:54:43 EDT 2013

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> The document, both from the host website and google doc are both
> helpful and worrying.
> Helpful: we can see expected total cost, $2.2 million, not sure
> that's been shared before, and a detailed breakdown of the costs
> involved in hosting an IGF.  The UN costs are not $900,000 for
> security or whatever the rumor last week, look to be just under
> $700,000: including interpretation (largest cost), scribes, web staff
> (i.e. remote access).

The rumor said that at $900,000 the UN costs were looking to be larger
than expected, maybe that doc represents what had been expected and
now it turned out that the actual UN costs were going to be as high as
$900,000... in other words, I don't view the document as evidence of
the rumor being inaccurate.

> Worrying:  it is an extremely naive document, and it would be worse if
> the proposals were implementable: generally they're not.  That it's
> been online for so long we have to expect it's been used, and that's
> bad -- seems they have raised over $1million, hopefully not based on
> the options in the proposal.

Of the over $1million for which reportedly commitments have been
obtained, the $250k from the Indonesian government would have been not
based on the promises in the proposal nor on similar or stronger
individually negotiated promises.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person