[governance] importance of having your own domain name

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Jul 30 06:20:31 EDT 2013

You know, most of these free or cheap services - besides the big ones like google, hotmail etc - are run by small hole in the wall outfits, that crop up and die out on a fairly frequent basis. And most such startups aren't doing email these days, they've shifted to social media.

If you want something that is extremely cheap AND has a cast iron guarantee of being around, it had better be a government provided service - except that comes with its very own can of worms (i am sure many people here remember what an internet / email service run by a government owned telco was like, from say 15 years back)

The 3322 takedown was necessary in some lights given the huge amount of malware that 3322 hosted without any let or hindrance - but it was unfortunate. I wrote about this on circleid back when the incident took place, and it was covered by Brian Krebs in his krebs on security blog as well, presenting two or three different points of view on the situation.

--srs (iPad)