[governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Jul 29 16:23:10 EDT 2013

Thanks for this Norbert. Do we know if the document was being actively
used to raise funds or secure sponsorships?

On 29/07/2013 19:21, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>:
>
>> Has anyone actually read this proposal in full?
> Yes I did - both for the version on Google docs and for the somewhat
> different version that was quite prominently on the host country
> website until very recently (it was still there the day before
> yesterday, but it's gone now.)
>
>> Assuming it is an
>> official proposal (which is just an assumption) it does not actually
>> offer proper speaking slots for cash at all.
> It is true that it did not come quite as low as that, but it
> nevertheless went quite far on the path of commercialization -
> acceptable for a commercial conference, but IMO quite unacceptable for
> a UN conference or any other kind of diplomatic process.

Agree.. it did not go quite as far as that, which was what I was trying
to point out.

And yes - I agree with you completely, the tone made it sound like a
commercial conference. My first reaction was also that it looked as if
they were letting people who sponsor come in and dominate proceedings,
but then I looked more closely.

As I said previously, I was not expressing approval of this commercial..
just saying I have seen it before, including in regional IGFs - and
global IGFs have not been free of branding.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692