[governance] Fw: [Internet Policy] Background on UN funding rules---question for the group

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jul 29 08:54:15 EDT 2013

Does anyone here have this information, or know how to find it easily?

Greetings,
Norbert

Beginn der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:

Datum: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:52:54 -0700
Von: Patrick Ryan <patrickryan at google.com>
An: "internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org" <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>
Betreff: [Internet Policy] Background on UN funding rules---question
for the group

Hi all,

As we try and help find a solution to the funding crisis at the IGF,
somebody that we all respect posted on a separate thread the existence
of a UN Resolution and Rules that constrain the ability for
contributions. Here's an excerpt from that email thread:

*Indonesia, as a UN Member State, is bound by the legislative mandate
set
> forth by the UN General Assembly. As a Member States, Indonesia was
> part of the decision making process in developing these rules in form
> of a GA Resolution. The Host Country Agreement (HCA) builds on this
> GA Resolution and  specifies the obligations of the Host Country. I
> explained the very basic principle in a lengthy email to another
> list: all the costs arising from holding a meeting away from HQ need
> to be borne by the Host Country. We may or may not like these rules
> and can discuss this at length, but this is simply a waste of time,
> as any amendment or change would have to go through the UN General
> Assembly.*

Although the Indonesians want help with the venue and hosting costs,
we've known for a while that their main concern is paying money to the
UN itself for their costs.  I've been unaware of any UN Resolution or
Rule that requires the host country to bear those costs, or any rule
that sets forth constraints as noted above.

*If anybody has this information (the UN Resolution or Rule referenced
above), I would be most grateful if you could please share it.*

Thank you,

Patrick

------
*patrick ryan *
public policy & gov't relations sr. counsel, free expression and int'l
relations
patrickryan at google.com | +1.512.751.5346