[governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Jul 29 00:26:31 EDT 2013

Sorry, but what has unraveled - except possibly an attempt to "ah..hah, gotcha!!" the MAG? :)

That said, speaking slots of any sort that take place in the actual conference halls are a risky proposition to promise in return for sponsorship.  There is an ever present risk that the IGF agenda gets piggybacked onto and becomes a soapbox for political, commercial or other interests.

Generally, it should be quite safe to host dignitaries from the sponsors to speak at lunch breaks, for example - or allow them to host separate sessions, clearly marked "sponsor: XXXX" where those that are interested can carry out discussions. [eg: A google public policy outreach session, just for example].  Very similar to advertiser sponsored features in newspapers - they're supposed to be clearly marked as such, but sometimes aren't.

--srs (iPad)