[governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Sun Jul 28 17:10:53 EDT 2013

Has anyone actually read this proposal in full? Assuming it is an
official proposal (which is just an assumption) it does not actually
offer proper speaking slots for cash at all. With the possible exception
of private sector sponsors being able to 'nominate' speakers for closing
ceremony. As I said earlier, the MAG has not seen this document (unless
I missed it).

But I don't see how this is a new model. Or am I missing something?

There is information in the document that states that sponsors will get
a certain number of invitations for participants to the high-level
event, gala dinner, etc. but nothing that seems that different from
previous IGFs.

Government sponsors get the benefit of chairing meetings. This is not
new. All IGF have had host country chairs drawn from supportive and
relevant ministries that formally open and close main sessions.

Private sector sponsors can nominate a speaker for the closing ceremony.
I would be surprised if this was not the case in all previous IGFs.

Donors and international organisations can have side-events or
pre-events. Also not new.

Everyone gets their logos everywhere and can have banners all over the
place. How is this different from previous IGFs? All IGFs have given
sponsors some recognition.  E.g.
http://igf.or.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=55

Is this different because of the scale? I don't particularly like it,
but I have worked with the UN on big events since 1996 and finding
harmless (as harmless as possible as this is always tricky) ways of
recognising sponsors have always been part of the process.

It seems that people feel the Idonesian organising committee is selling
influence in turn for sponsorship, but  don't really see evidence of
that beyond the standard 'indirect' influence of branding.

If I have missed the relevant text then please point me to it.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692