[governance] Demands to IGF host nation and UNDESA over funding (was: Fwd: [Internet Policy] IGF Bali)

shaila mistry shailam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 07:07:32 EDT 2013

It would be quite a loss if the IGF is really to be cancelled.  Something doesn't add up!
 Surely the host country was aware of the cost of putting on this event. This information would have been part the decision making at the time of volunteering to host ? Some transparency on selection process and cost would be helpful .
It also shocking to learn of the cost of UN staff, security and personnel. A suggestion indeed is that personel requiring such "protection" may follow remotely. Like everyone else I'm pondering on how to decrease costs and or think of ways to raise the funds to go ahead with IGF 2013.
Many of us have participated since and see the critical value if this platform and want to see it continue. The implication of its demise to Internet governance would be far too great !
Hope, in the next few days we hear some news that indicates a better outcome !!!
Shaila