[governance] Markus Kummer in the situation Re: IGF Bali

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 18:20:58 EDT 2013

[Warning: this is a long email]

Dear all

Very many thanks to Markus Kummer, for putting things into focus. Coming from my background: Digital Solidarity Fund (Yes, that WSIS one), National IGF fundraiser and organiser, regional IGForganiser and fundraiser and continental IGForganiser and fundraiser...  I would like to share my thoughts and maybe chip in a few ideas for IGF going forward.

	1. On the political front, we need to understand why countries bid/offer to host events.  These reasons will help us smell stuff upfront. Why did Indonesia bid to host the IGF?  As civil society, have we asked the IGF secretariat about the conditions for hosting an IGF. What exactly do host countries agree on? Is the "Standard Host Country Agreement" enough? Have we seen that agreement? Does  the host country share it within its "willing to host committee" before they bid?

	2. What values do host countries get from IGF? As Markus says, 1 million $ is so tiny an amount for Indonesia that canceling a global meeting because of that amount is as fake  me growing a 1 meter long hair!

	3. I do not know who put up the Fundraising Proposal. It is not a scandal,  but it just clearly shows that the people who drafted it do/did not understand what the IGF is and how it functions. Having said above that I have been in many levels of IGForganisation, I know first hand that the reasons that governments "accept" for hosting these events are some times ridiculous.
	4. On the budget itself, I think it is not that huge and not that complicated. Organisers of IGF know that.  What I see from it is that a host country needs to think "Between 2 and 3 million $) as hosting cost.
	5. The budget itself is in parts: a) venue and security. This seems to be the part tied up to the UN. b) Technical and multimedia. This part does not seem to be cast in stone c) logistics and general hospitality. Local transport and meals fall here. Nairobi did not do airport pick up and we paid for our visas on arrival? d) costs borne by participating organisations and individuals. This is actually the BIGGER amount that we seem not to be talking about here.
	6. Having said all of the above, my gut feeling is that it has got to the "reality time" of events (organisers know this).  This is the time you realise that you may ACTUALLY need more money than you had originally budgeted for.  And you begin to question the value that the whole thing brings you.  The "is it worth all the trouble?" "Why did I get myself into this?" time.
Between the time of the rumours and today, I have done more work on my "Bali" folder. I am one of those that believe IGF Bali will hold, after the question "Who will do the bail out?" must have been answered.

Going forward:
	1. To the UN, I will say to check the security ratings of the IGF meeting itself. Does it still need to be as high as the first sessions?

	2. Definitely, I think the UN should fund the security part of the IGF. This makes it easier for host countries to concentrate on funding venue, logistics, and hospitality
	3. It is okay for ICANN and other corporations to fund certain parts of the meeting, but my shot will be to clearly mark these out. The technical and multimedia, to me, appear to be the easiest entry. Since these are Service-Provider-related services. Contracting is easier when it happens B2B. I dont think ICANN should send funds to DESA for translation or other media services.
	4. It is important for would-be hosting countries to understand how the budget plays out.  Security costs in Indonesia should not be compared to Nairobi, as Markus has clearly pointed out below. So the message is not that "The UN is requesting Indonesia to pay 900K$ for their staff and security" That message is wrong. The message is that "The Bali location will need 900K$" to satisfy the security and UN-functionality of the meeting."

In closing this rather long email, I wll say that the budget hassle and tussle that is going on is not in itself a bad development. It only just shows that some more issues need to be discussed. I am certain that the MAG is learning the lessons and will use them well.

And would-be host countries, and organisers too.

Best of the weekend,

Nnenna

Nnenna  Nwakanma |  Founder and CEO, NNENNA.ORG  |  Consultants
Information | Communications | Technology and Events | for Development
Cote d'Ivoire (+225)| Tel: 225 27144 | Fax  224 26471 |Mob. 07416820
Ghana: +233 249561345| Nigeria: +234 8101887065| http://www.nnenna.org
nnenna at nnenna.org| @nnenna | Skype - nnenna75 | nnennaorg.blogspot.com