[governance] IGF Bali 2013

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 02:58:30 EDT 2013

Dear All,

Warm Greetings! Trust that you are in excellent health. Whilst we have not received official notification from the IGF Secretariat on the logistical aspects of the IGF in Bali despite the reports we are hearing from various listservs, forums and media, we would advise that people exercise wisdom and caution.

I personally, feel that this would be "business as usual" until we are officially notified otherwise. There usually is no smoke without fire and there may be logistical challenges.

I would certainly hope that the discussions are exhausted particularly within the CSTD Working Group on enhanced cooperation, in MAG discussions, as well as other forums globally. This logistical hurdle should be met with "wisdom" and negotiated in a way that manages and nurtures enhanced stakeholder engagement and the spirit of collaboration which has taken many years to build. Like a sandcastle, it all can easily come crashing down if diplomacy is not utilized. This is not a situation where frontal assaults on institutions would be beneficial but where the delivery and essential facilitation of an IGF is paramount. A the end of the day, the expectation is a viable global IGF and to be facilitated. Each person on this list has considerable weight and influence to impact the manner in which this unfolds.

Should the worst case scenario unfold then we should certainly explore alternative mediums such as remote participation. Fortunately, the IGC has made considerable recommendations on remote participation to the MAG. This is an opportunity for stakeholders in the Internet Ecosystem or Universe can collaborate and share resources to deliver an IGF. When something precious to the community such as an IGF is threatened, this is where the test of our collaboration can be a testimony to the world. Multisectoral collaboration that is diverse, each one pitching in to see how best they can help.

If there are other governments or Organisations that can help Indonesia out in whatever way they can to ensure that this goes ahead, this is when it is needed.

We can do this! Because only TOGETHER we can!

Kind Regards,
Sala

Sent from my iPad