[governance] Blind Community Fights for a More Accessible Web

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Fri Jul 26 18:01:41 EDT 2013

Interesting article!

I usually have been very adept in convert university textbooks through a
long process of scanning, and conversion so the Kuzweil text to speech
literacy software (assistive technology for reading) can read it to
students with learning and physical disabilities.  But you will be
surprised that although textbooks have the ebook version, it does not have
the braille version so our visual-impaired students rely on Kurzweil.
Another issue is that most of the college coursework are online.  For
instance, C-engage Learning has APLIA that streamlines access to coursework
in the hope that it will increase student engagement.  Our Visual-impaired
students use the JAWS (Job Access with Screen)  screen reader when they
access their coursework online. If not, their accommodations allow them to
go to the testing center where the questions are read to them aloud.  I
agree that students have better access to screen readers and accommodations
while they're in school. After school, it's totally a different ballgame.
 It also boils down to small and large scale business knowing that they
should hire web developers who are aware of ADA compliance.  There is an
accessibility checklist published by the U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services, just FYI to some:

*    Every image, video file, audio file, plug-in, etc. has an alt tag
Complex graphics are accompanied by detailed text descriptions
The alt descriptions describe the purpose of the objects
If an image is also used as a link, make sure the alt tag describes the
graphic and the link destination
Decorative graphics with no other function have empty alt descriptions
(alt= "")
Add captions to videos
Add audio descriptions
Create text transcript
Create a link to the video rather than embedding it into web pages
Add a link to the media player download
Add an additional link to the text transcript
The page should provide alternative links to the Image Map
The <area> tags must contain an *alt* attribute
Data tables have the column and row headers appropriately identified (using
the <th> tag)
Tables used strictly for layout purposes do NOT have header rows or columns
Table cells are associated with the appropriate headers (e.g. with the id,
headers, scope and/or axis HTML attributes)
Make sure the page does not contain repeatedly flashing images
Check to make sure the page does not contain a strobe effect
A link is provided to a disability-accessible page where the plug-in can be
downloaded
All Java applets, scripts and plug-ins (including Acrobat PDF files and
PowerPoint files, etc.) and the content within them are accessible to
assistive technologies, or else an alternative means of accessing
equivalent content is provided
When form controls are text input fields use the LABEL element
When text is not available use the title attribute
Include any special instructions within field labels
Make sure that form fields are in a logical tab order
Include a ‘Skip Navigation' button to help those using text readers

If you think about it, web accessibility is really easy to understand. Web
developers just need to COMPLY.

Charity Embley