[governance] IGF Cancelled

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jul 26 07:06:08 EDT 2013

In message <007801ce89de$df326550$9d972ff0$@hserus.net>, at 14:32:34 on
Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes

>The number of UN bureaucrats attending the event aren't likely to change
>substantially from previous IGFs.  So the one other possibility is that the
>security requirements were ratcheted up and more sophisticated technology,
>extra personnel etc would cost that much more.

How much bigger is this bill than for previous events? I've seen some of
the paperwork for hosting large ITU events, and the "UN presence" bill
there was substantial too.

Of course, Bali is rather further from Geneva than many previous
locations for the IGF. The business class fare is at least $10k (if you
aren't buying discounted, restricted, tickets).

--
Roland Perry