[governance] IGF Cancelled

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Jul 26 00:46:30 EDT 2013

On 26/07/13 12:34, parminder wrote:

> On Friday 26 July 2013 09:16 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>> On 26/07/13 11:31, Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) wrote:
>>> According to third party sources I asked, ie not the Indonesians,
>>> one major item that added to the cost is that the UN had apparently
>>> asked for US$900k to fly personnel and security equipment for the
>>> event.
>>
>> Time to cut the UN apron strings.
>
> Why sure, we can check with Google. They will be quite happy to run
> the global internet policy dialogue.... It is most astounding that
> after subverting and ditching the tradition of strictly public funding
> for policy spaces and activities, and adopting the neoliberal and
> anti-democratic (and fancy) multistakeholder funding model, now that
> it has collapsed one is to blame the public systems for it....

But $900k is ridiculous, and given that a lot of the obstruction of the
IGF has come from UNOG (funding constraints, censorship, Secretariat-led
policy direction), other options have to be considered.  We have WTO,
ISO, etc as intergovernmental organisations that are notionally separate
from the UN, so why not the IGF as well - a free-standing international
multi-stakeholder conference.  This is independent of the question of
how it is funded - but it's clear there will be no funding flowing from
the UN anyway, so I don't see how cutting the UN loose would make the
situation worse.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational