[governance] Maybe something good might come out of all of this

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Jul 23 06:40:13 EDT 2013

On 23.07.13 13:22, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> There should be a way to do independent certification.

Like there is today, with proprietary code?

What good is a certification, when the certifying party has received an
GAG order from some three letter agency? Or the certification party is
corrupt?

There is no escaping this, as long as a "government agency" has superpowers.

Also, about Open Source: remember the claims that NSA has planted
backdoors in the IPSEC implementation in OpenBSD?

My take on all this is that security does not happen because we mandate
everyone uses certain code -- as this is exactly the path to having that
code compromised. Security comes from educating people that it is all in
their very own hands and that nobody, no Government, no civil society
organization, nobody but they themselves can secure their own life.

Sorry to pour this much cold water :)

Daniel