[governance] FW: Brazil opens investigation into US spying

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Jul 11 06:02:58 EDT 2013

The relevant criticism of Lemos in the mentioned article is that the
national telecom regulator seems to take advantage of this situation to
push for more control of the network by the gov agency, proposing
measures such as automatic authorization for peeking into communications
by a simple police request without due process of law. Similarly, big
media pushes for taking down content without due legal process as well,
and wants this inserted into the Marco Civil.

In other words, sectors of our government are trying to take advantage
of the NSA revelations to push for more governmental (and
intergovernmental, or multilateral) control of the Internet, in a
dubious alliance with transnational telcos and big media.

--c.a.