[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 10:00:30 EDT 2013

Hey,

Just one crazy idea... Since domain names are not supposed to be trademarks
or brand names, why should we/ICANN care about the integrity of a brand
name at any given level (primary, secondary, etc.) of the DNS? In other
words, we should be able to solve that problem by allowing ourselves to
have domain names such as these:

geo.amazon
co.amazon
geo.patagonia
co.patagonia

Why not? Especially if the Co's are just going to use their brand gTLD only
for their corporate needs, and not to provide domain name registration to
the public.

Thanks, Avri, for the refreshing and update, which is helpful. Since I left
the GNSO Council I've unfortunately had too many other things to read than
ICANN's outputs, so wasn't so sure how much of those early ideas made it to
the final policy. At least this gives me the illusion that I can still rely
on my memory. The problem you're pointing to is a real problem with ICANN
processes whereby a policy development process can take 5 years and more
(how long for the Whois policy?), so much so that by the time it gets to
implementation most of the people who participated in the
design/development process are no longer around and their say, if and when
they care to comment, is not given as much attention as it would have, had
they still been in office/representation.

Mawaki