[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jul 9 07:33:23 EDT 2013

On 8 Jul 2013, at 23:38, Mawaki Chango wrote:

>  I do think those grassroots stakeholders need to be heard and careful attention should be paid to their concerns. I do not think at all that they "own" the name of their location, but just that a case can be made --and should be heard-- that they might have a higher stake in that name so far (say, before it becomes a TLD) than most of of us. It's up to ICANN to put in place the relevant criteria against which to evaluate those objections (BTW, I thought there was something like this as part of the new gTLD policy when it began to take shape back in 2006/07?)

Hi,

This was the whole basis, something that also had mixed appeal among ICANN non-commercials, for communities to be able to file objections against TLD applicants who thought that they were caused material harm by a new TLD.  It is not that they could claim ownership, but if somehow, they could demonstrate that the allocation of the name would cause their community (however one wants to define this broad term) harm they could object to an application.  And if they could show harm, the application would be denied.

Of course we did not know that ICANN and its DRPs were going to charge up to 250 KUSD for the privilege of objecting.

But we knew it was going to be more expensive that many communities could afford even if it cost 5 KUSD.  That is why an Independent Objector, also of mixed appeal in ICANN Non commercial circles, was established - to make objections for communities who would be hurt.  Unfortunately ICANN hired one who did not understand his charter and who decided it wasn't up to him to decide what was a community.

In fact, in the end it turned out to be ICANN that injured communities with ridiculous fees for objections and an incompetent IO

So you remember correctly, it was part of the policy, it is just that the implementation was so badly done.

avri

DRP - Dispute Resolution Providers
KUSF - 1000 US Dollars
IO - Independent Objector.