[governance] RE: [bestbits] "UN must step in to stop cyber threats"

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 03:01:02 EDT 2013

Interesting comments from the Indian Minister and we will see what the response to the latest Snowden revelations are from the Brazilian authorities and it would be perhaps useful to begin to move the existing IRP document forward toward some sort of (civil society and other?) global consensus.

Mr. Michael Hayden, the former head of the NSA mentioned in an interview with CBS the quite obvious but often forgotten point that the US Constitution and specifically it's privacy provisions (4th amendment) govern/protect US citizens only and is not the basis for any international treaty or pact.  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57592169/nsa-spying-ally-anger-justified/

Perhaps building on this observation we might consider the process of universalizing this 4th amendment (as for example through the IRP document) while adding measures for ensuring global compliance, transparency and accountability.

In this context it is extremely disappointing to see the UN SG has made comments to the Iceland parliament indicating his belief that issues of security should prevail over issues of privacy and thus Mr. Snowden's acts rather than being those of a global patriot were those of someone who is in breach of national laws concerning contracted issues concerning breaches of confidentiality. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/03/edward-snowden-digital-misuse-ban-ki-moon