[governance] Are Techies from Venus and Non-techies from Mars :)

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Jan 31 02:53:44 EST 2013

This is an observation we all make at some point of time (I hope). But
you summarized it well.

However, my take on the techie/non-techie part is different. Here is my
opinion why you observe these things.

The people who know the system and are not "innocent" enough (have seen
the bad usage of others' ideals) is who you call the "policy" people.
These people know, that using tools like "competition" to fight
increasing power of one entity is futile if done as a policy. Therefore,
they advocate the promotion of true competition (free market), because
then many non-ecumbered by policy (and politics, let's not forget)
entities will fight with the powers-that-are in the market, making them
behave. Same about "collaboration". When you have competition, there is
no problem with collaboration forming any cartels. Plus, competitors
will often be forced by the market to cooperate... or leave the market.

The "techie" people are unfortunately pretty much innocent in these
things. They believe in what they are told: corporations are bad,
cartels is what happen when corporations sit together. As idealistic
(and deluded) as they are, techies will happily support "somebody else"
to "make sure corporations are not way too powerful".

In the end, just as with humans, every corporation becomes weak and
dies, no matter how powerful or influential it once was. Such is life.

Come to think, myself, being labeled by many as an "techie", apparently
I lost my innocence a while ago. I don't believe either model alone, so
in my opinion, I must be from Earth. Although ... I have always
suspected my origins are out of this world. ;-)

Daniel