[governance] Re: RFC 6852: Affirmation of the Modern Paradigm for Standards

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:29:06 EST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Louis Pouzin (well) <pouzin at well.com> wrote:
> About 80% of RFCs are written by US firms employees.

I think that may be in the ballpark, although I would be curious to
know where that number came from.

Even if spot on however, it doesn't mean that RFCs are written by US
companies.  These people volunteer their time and knowledge to develop
Standards.  Rarely are they done at the direction of corporates.

 Approval based on
> decibels guarantees a majority for the more numerous US delegation.

There isn't a US delegation.  This is not an intergovernmental process.

Internet
> draft standards are not exchanged with international standard bodies for
> comments.

They are published online for all to see.  Should they be exchanged
with other standards bodies?

>The real process is driven by US industry

I would dispute this statement.

, and does not conform to
> the well wishing statements of the document.
>
> Even though the wording smacks of "the flag and motherhood", I don't feel
> it's worth signing on it.

It comes from the USA, therefore it is "bad" ?

What specifically do you object to?

--
Cheers,

McTim