[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Sun Jan 27 11:20:49 EST 2013

Quick thoughts:

- Call for proposals: Should be done in an open and transparent fashion. I am of the opinion that the call should be done after the open consultation/MAG meeting in Feb. That's been how it has been done in the past, and works well.

To not do so, would give the appearance that the MAG has already decided on issues/topics and is trying to impose them. That, is not acceptable.

- We seem to be still stuck on the same nomenclature for overall themes that were developed years ago. As I proposed at last year's IGF MAG consultations, we might want to see if the frame of "Stewardship" that is  used in international relations discussions might be helpful

- In the proposed schedule below I don't see where issues such as Cyber Security, Openness, Surveillance, Rights & privacy would feed into. Yes, they have been part of IGF's in the past, but they are still key issues of concern for all stakeholders.

- If we want experiment with different formats for discussion and dialogue at the IGF, I would highly suggest we borrow approaches taken at other highly successful meetings.

Let's borrow from the success of a variety of informal/ad-hoc/Discussion Presentation formats (such as TED, "Davos Style" , unconfererence,  lightning talks, BOF's)  are used successfully at other conferences such as the IETF, Davos, Tech at State and TEDx.

More informal styles of engagement might prove to be a bit challenging to some stakeholder groups - such as governments - who aren't accustomed to them. Success will require an experienced  moderator/facilitator.

Refs:

Unconference Format
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

TEDx