[governance] RFC 6852: Affirmation of the Modern Paradigm for Standards--Some Comments

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Jan 26 14:03:02 EST 2013

(removed the cc list)

On 26 Jan 2013, at 12:34, michael gurstein wrote:

> I gather that this is a "take it or leave it" i.e. no possibility for having input into the document? If there is a possibiity I would like to contribute my comments as interspersed below to a further revision of this document.

Well i think "take it or leave it"  is a rather negative way to put it, but that statement is indeed published as an unchangeable RFC (though, for completeness sake, I suppose an errata could be published).

And I certainly was not saying "take it or leave it", nor do I expect that the authors were.

I have not had time to study your comments yet, but I suppose the IGC could do anything it pleased ranging from:

- ignore it completely - they ignored us, we can ignore them

- put out a statement saying we support but ... - and not sign

- put out a statement saying we support but ... -  and sign

- sign on though we have some minor reservations

- lots of other possible actions

I noticed that the signing place has:

"
Voice Your Support
There are two ways to support OpenStand. You maypublicly express your support by filling out our "stand with us" form. You may also submit a quote as a formal endorsement from your organization.
"

I am sure IGC could voice its support but ...

So no, I don't think it is a "take it or leave it"

avri