[governance] Facebook spent $4 million to lobby U.S. lawmakers in 2012

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Jan 25 23:08:09 EST 2013

Guru, even if the corporation is taxed on its previously untaxed
activities it would still have more than enough to spend 15 to 20
million dollars on lobbying activities.

These tend to go towards staff salaries, funding ngos and organizing
conferences rather than wining and dining senators, whereas in other
countries like say our very own india, the same amount, deposited
anonymously in a minister or bureaucrat's numbered account in  a swiss
bank would be the alternative for firms that don't care about the US
foreign corrupt practices act, which has some serious teeth.

--srs (htc one x)