[governance] Facebook spent $4 million to lobby U.S. lawmakers in 2012

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:41:02 EST 2013

I think the issue is whether or not the outcome is in the (general) public
interest or rather serves narrow sectional (corporate) private interests.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/22/local/la-me-att-20120422

The US system appears skewed towards the latter and this is shocking and
disturbing to those (including many in the US) who find this to be a form of
corruption and as undermining democracy.

Arguably, as in the recent WCIT, we are seeing an extension of these
processes into the global Internet sphere, in this instance not to direct
governance oversight and regulation but to prevent it altogether.

This is not about your gran meeting with her MP to discuss the euthanasia or
not, of feral cats.