[governance] "US Exceptionalism" (was Re: Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Jan 24 05:52:46 EST 2013

[IGC Coordinator hat on]

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> If this is in the context of Norbert's requesting that we all use
> less acronyms

I don't recall having requested that, but I do think that it's good to
be aware that for every acronym, there's probably some readers of the
list who are not familiar with it. So I do think that it's good
practice to include the full English text for each acronym from
time to time, at least the first time in a give discussion thread
that each acronym is used.

> this is somewhat like saying we need to teach maths
> without using confusing terms like, say, pi, sigma etc which are, to
> be honest, all greek to most people that first encounter them.

And consequently it is appropriate to explain these symbols to people
when they encounter them for the first time.

> Maybe work with Diplo or someone to conduct some sort of capacity
> building for civil society?

That may well be a good idea, but it wouldn't discharge us from the
responsibility to be aware of the need for inclusiveness.

Greetings,
Norbert