[governance] Yet another new -strategy - thread title: It may be broke - politically - but how to fix it, technopolitically? ; )

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Jan 23 12:57:54 EST 2013

Wolfgang Kleinwächter <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>
wrote:

> Norbert:
>> From my perspective, I'm inclined to suggest that the key goal
>> should be to solve the problems of eradicating involuntary poverty
>> and sufficiently limiting greenhouse gas emissions.
>
> Wolfgang:
> Good issues. However we have to link this to the Internet related
> aspects and we have to continue with our main priorities as human
> rights, consumer rights, bridging the digital divde, infrastructure
> development, privacy, (free) access, further conceptual enhancement
> of the multistakehoder IG model in ongoing international Internet
> negotiations in 2013 (WSIS 10+, WTPF, UNCSTD, WTDC, UNGA, HRC, IGF,
> ICAAN etc.) among others.

Here's some linkage:

- A key area of linkage is ensuring that the Internet is an enabler
  for democracy--clearly democratic processes are key to solving the
  above-mentioned problems. This ties in particular to privacy, freedom
  of expression and communication, and other human rights.

- Eradicating involuntary poverty requires bridging the digital divide
  and infrastructure development.

- A further area of linkage is the issue of taxation in the context of
  Internet based business processes. Governments are not able to do
  fulfill their responsibilities if they can't fund themselves.

- Last but not least, what we have learned and are learning in Internet
  governance on multistakeholder governance can contribute to informing
  the formation of legitimate and effective governance structures for
  facilitating the necessary international coordination for solving the
  above-mentioned problems.

Greetings,
Norbert