[governance] France Proposes an Internet Tax

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Jan 22 19:14:48 EST 2013

Not really amenable to transfer pricing models of taxation .. which do get avoided to a large extent.

A very similar but domestic US case is Amazon, which till 2012 was taking aggressive measures to avoid becoming subject to state sales tax in most US states where it did not have a physical presence (large shipping warehouses in some strategically located cities that were also cheap in terms of operating costs).  Quite aggressively but in several opinions, legally under current law,

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904772304576468753564916130.html

In 2012, after several US states moved aggressively on this avoidance, amazon is setting up warehouses in each state to make themselves subject to state sales taxes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/technology/amazon-forced-to-collect-sales-tax-aims-to-keep-its-competitive-edge.html?_r=0

--srs (iPad)