[governance] "US Exceptionalism" (was Re: Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jan 21 14:22:11 EST 2013

Kerry Brown <kerry at kdbsystems.com> had written:

>> For me it is not US exceptionalism. It is something more nuanced. As
>> a Canadian I would like to see less control by the US. As a citizen
>> of, for lack of a better term, a "western democracy" I would not like
>> to see what I think of as "repressive regimes" get more control. It
>> is a dichotomy I am unable to resolve in my own mind which makes it
>> very hard to debate usefully. I think many people have the same
>> internal struggle.

Another related, and also hard but necessary, internal struggle is to
have hope that meaningful positive change is actually achievable.

Are you able to propose some kind of set of criteria that
from your perspective governments should be required to fulfil before
they're qualified to join a group of governments that could be trusted
to have some role in global Internet governance?

Greetings,
Norbert