[governance] Bloomberg - The Overzealous Prosecution of Aaron Swartz

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:06:37 EST 2013

Perhaps some of the best evidence of prosecutorial overreach in the USA -
generally speaking amongst all classes of alleged offenders - is the number
of federal cases that actually go to trial versus the number resolved by
plea bargains.  Data available from US court administration agencies show
quite clearly that the number of actual trials is dropping every year to a
present vanishingly small percentage of cases.

As a former litigator, this indicates fairly clearly to me that defendants
and their attorneys perceive far too much risk in going to trial because
the sentences and the average number of charges are so high, it makes
taking a plea bargain for a ten or fifteen year sentence pretty darn
attractive compared to rolling the dice and getting 35 years (a life
sentence for many people not quite young) if found guilty at trial under
the typically VERY broad statutes available in every area of the criminal
law including the copyright "crimes" at issue in the Aaron Swartz case.

This severe reduction in the number of criminal cases going to trial
(something the defendant, by the way, has a constitutional right to) also
indicates to me that a sizable percentage of people who are in fact not
guilty are nevertheless pleading guilty because of the risks of trial
(unless one can show that prosecutors have gotten much much better at
charging only guilty people relative to prosecutors only ten years ago,
which is a quite unlikely proposition).

Although prosecutorial immunity is indeed a problem, and this immunity is
often considered absolute or quasi-absolute when the activity in question
is the filing of charges or things that take place in court, not all
actions of prosecutors are so immune.  A somewhat lower standard applies
when prosecutors act in an investigatory function.  If a complaint can be
styled regarding the improper investigation of a charged crime and it can
be shown that the prosecutor was directing the investigation (which they
usually do, provided they are involved at that point) then there is a
better chance of making a claim.  But here, note that the prosecutor's
choice to file overzealous charges in court would still be subject to the
near-absolute immunity standard.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1