FW: Re: [governance] US 2nd on Internet Freedom

Sanja Kelly kelly at freedomhouse.org
Thu Jan 17 19:17:28 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

A colleague mentioned to me that Freedom House’s index of internet freedom was being discussed on the list, so I wanted to jump in and offer a few explanations for those who may not be familiar with our methodology (for those who don’t know me, I direct the Freedom on the Net project at Freedom House).

Freedom House evaluates internet freedom through a series of questions ranging from obstacles to access,  content regulation, to surveillance and censorship practices, attacks on bloggers, and so on. The methodology is posted on our website and the questions can be found here (p 642): http://www.freedomhouse.org/sites/default/files/resources/FOTN%202012%20-%20Full%20Report.pdf . I think that some people perceive that FH staff gets together behind the closed door and arbitrarily decides on the scores:-), but the project is actually a collaborative effort of 60 independent researchers from the countries under study who act as primary report authors and additional 90-100 independent advisors who act as report and scores reviewers. The contributors are typically scholars, journalists, and civil society representatives who live in the country, but due to repressive political environment at home (China, Saudi Arabia, etc), many have requested to remain anonymous.

We apply the same methodology to every country around the world and in most instances the metrics are quite precise (e.g. if a country blocks, let’s say, 100 political websites, it’s going to get the same score on that particular question regardless of where it is or what kind of political system it has).  While no metric is perfect, I think the project is quite unique and effective in measuring various aspects of internet freedom around the world. We also acknowledge that various audiences may have different definition of internet freedom, but that is true with many concepts in social science (just look at definitions of “democracy”).

Regarding some of the questions that were raised in previous comments:

•             Yes, the United States scored 2nd on our evaluation; however, it is incorrect to say that we think that the U.S. is the second most free country in the world. As you will notice on our website and in the book, the United States scored 2nd among 47 countries that we evaluated last year. Since the project covered only 47 countries, it is very likely that had we included places such as Iceland, Finland, the Netherlands, and a few others, most of them would have scored higher that the U.S. Currently our country coverage is limited due to funding (I think you all can related to that!), but we are hoping to be able to gradually expand to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, media can often misrepresent numbers, thus you see the headlines like the one you cited earlier in the thread.

•             Regarding SOPA, PIPA, etc. Our methodology and research process take a meticulous look at the existence and implementation of laws relating to various aspect of internet freedom. However, we only lower the score when proposed legislation actually becomes a law and is implemented. Had SOPA/PIPA passed in Congress and been signed into law, the United States scores would have dramatically worsened.  Although you may disagree with this approach, it is the method we use when scoring any country around the world, which makes the index quite effective in comparing the developments internationally.

I am currently travelling, but would be happy to chat next week with anyone who is interested to provide constructive feedback, learn more, or get involved with the project (we are always looking for country contributors, and then advisors who independently evaluate the scores and reports written by the country contributors). Feel free to drop me a line (Kelly at freedomhouse.org<mailto:Kelly at freedomhouse.org>) or schedule a Skype call. I don’t follow this forum, so it’s more effective to get in touch directly.

Cheers,

Sanja

Sanja Tatic Kelly

Project Director, Freedom on the Net