[governance] From Geneva on 2013 MAG selection process

Devon Blake devonrb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:40:28 EST 2013

In looking at the submissions on this and an associated thread. There are
two issues which seem to be of some concern; How many new names should be
submitted to DESA and whether or not those who are already MAG members
should be renominated.
On the first issue, seeing we are nominating members to be a part of the
1/3 of members being rotated, and the fact that we have so many qualified
people,  we should give DESA enough names to make proper choices, so why
not submit 7 names.

On the second issue, given that each appointment is for one year, this
alone suggests to me that best practice is to renominate each IGC delegate,
whether they have been there for a year, or from the start. I do understand
that there is an unwritten understanding that barring the extraordinary
each MAG member we nominate, we expect them to stay for a minimum of three
years. We however should not forget that a critical element of democracy,
is that we endorse incumbents based on good performance ....or should.

Devon
n 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Kabani <kabani.asif at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom.
>
> Many thanks for sharing the email of CM.
>
> So let us be clear how many people should Nomcom select for MAG
>
> Time is short, pl guide us Nomcom
>
> Regards
>
> On 16 January 2013 22:21, Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com>wrote:
>
>>  Here's an email from Chengetai Masango in Geneva about the state of the
>> MAG nominations.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Tom Lowenhaupt
>>
>> P.S. Not sure why the reference to NY is there. Perhaps we're
>> underrepresented?
>>

>> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: Questions about 2013
>> MAG selection process  Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:17:45 +0100  From: Chengetai
>> Masango <cmasango at unog.ch> <cmasango at unog.ch>  To: Thomas Lowenhaupt
>> <toml at communisphere.com> <toml at communisphere.com>  CC: Farzaneh BADII
>> <FBADII at unog.ch> <FBADII at unog.ch>, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
>> <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com><salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>
>>
>> HI Thomas
>>
>>  Civil Society is one of the stakeholder groups that are most up to date
>> as far as the rotation is concerned.
>>
>>  The majority seem to have been renewed during the last rotation.
>>
>>  I think if you send three or four names (to give NY a choice) that
>> should be more than enough.
>>
>>  Best regards
>>
>>  Chengetai
>>

>>  On Jan 15, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I am the Chair of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus
>> Nominating Committee charged with selecting names of IGC members to put
>> forth for selection to the 2013 MAG. Thirty five (35) IGC members have been
>> nominated. Our review and selection process would be aided if you would
>> provide some insight into the process you will be following in selecting
>> 2013 MAG members.
>>
>> We have been advised that DESA might rotate 1/3 of the MAG's 55 members
>> this year, roughly 18 members. That those appointed to the MAG last year
>> are more than likely to remain, and that their reapplication at this point
>> would be unnecessary.
>>
>> It is expected that more than one civil society organization is likely to
>> provide DESA with MAG nominees. The IGC has over 30 applicants for what
>> looks to be a possible 18 vacant MAG seats.
>>
>> The IGC's Nominating Committee members are well aware of the credentials
>> and suitability of our nominees and in the best position to select the
>> cream from amongst them. This would provide DESA with a highly qualified
>> group of nominees from which to choose its MAG appointees. We are prepared
>> to take the difficult task of narrowing down the applicant pool from 35 as
>> appropriate.
>>
>> We would greatly appreciate your providing some guidance as to the number
>> of nominees from IGC that would most fruitfully meet the needs of DESA.

> [...]

Devon Blake
Special Projects Director
Earthwise Solutions Limited
29 Dominica Drive
Kgn 5
,Phone: Office 876-968-4534, Mobile, 876-483-2632

To be kind, To be helpful, To network
*Earthwise ... For Life!*