AW: [governance] Multistakeholder Roles and Responsibilities

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Thu Jan 17 09:58:43 EST 2013

+1

In addition to the commitments that the SG made during the meeting with
civil society at WCIT that Joana mentioned, the ITU issued the following
statement in response to a 10 December civil society
letter<https://docs.google.com/a/accessnow.org/document/pub?id=1LiM3FfKF8Fgih7Um7v2vK20J2AigneGrgJ93YTbqLSM>to
WCIT.

•            We recognize that the current institutional structures do not
facilitate independent civil society participation in the work of the ITU.
Given that it is unlikely that institutional changes can be implemented
during the WCIT, we ask that the two above issues be addressed immediately
and that the ITU commit to reviewing and putting in place mechanisms that
will encourage a more flexible approach to participation by civil
society. *[From
10 December letter]*

Only the Plenipotentiary Conference of the ITU – the highest governing body
of the organization – can change institutional rules and procedures or
effect changes to the ITU Constitution.* I believe post-WCIT-12 we will
have time to take stock and provide our membership with some important
recommendations in line with what you raise. I* would also take the
opportunity to remind you that all civil society organizations, who are
international in nature and who are working in the area of ICTs are welcome
to join the ITU and apply for exemption of fees. I believe we will all
benefit from a greater civil society engagement at ITU and in line with
this I recently invited the International Trade Union Movement to join.

The document is available on WCITLeaks, but (ironically) is locked behind a
TIES log in:
http://files.wcitleaks.org/public/S12-WCIT12-INF-0005!!MSW-E.pdf

I don't think seeking the right to participate at the WTPF would require
changes at the plenipotentiary level (please do correct me if this
assumption is wrong) so if we decide to go ahead with a letter, we might
want to cite the sentence I highlighted above.

Best,
Deborah

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>wrote:

>  Agree, and I think that Jeremy and Joana and Wolfgang's suggestions are
> not mutually exclusive.
>
> We can send a letter, and ask member-states and sector members to also
> raise this issue and make sure that our letter is discussed.
>
> Best
>
> Anriette
>
>  On 17/01/2013 12:43, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
>
> Hi Joana and all
>
> there is another PrepMeeting for the WTPF in February in Geneva.http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Pages/ieg.aspx
>
> It is important to raise this question in this meeting. I have no idea whether this meeting (February 6 - 8, 2013 in the ITU HQ) is open. If not we should send a letter to like minded governments and to the ITU SG before February 6 and to push for a clear response to our request for equal participation in the WTPF, independent from national governmental delegations.
>
> Wolfgang

Deborah Brown
Policy Analyst
Access | AccessNow.org