[governance] US 2nd on Internet Freedom

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:35:27 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> no notable arrests of bloggers [in the USA qualifies the USA as second
> most friendly country to the Internet]

I guess Aaron Swartz does not count as a "blogger" since he was so much
more than just a blogger? (The piece does mention SOPA/PIPA)

Congratulations to Estonia, but the USA is ranked too high at second, and
there are so many countries in Africa, South America and Asia (and even
Canada) for which the study's graphic says the study has "no data."  What?

Estonia seems to be selected from a sea of countries for which the study
claims "no data" including all the surrounding countries of Lithuania,
Poland, Sweden, Norway and Finland.  Finland, especially, would probably
equal or eclipse Estonia for all of the reasons cited in favor of Estonia,
and some more.  And I would appreciate hearing from others more familiar
than I with other parts of the world in terms of what countries they think
are "best" - and what standard(s) they use to make that judgment, if they
care to share.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1