[governance] Preliminary List of Nominees for the 2013 MAG - REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jan 16 07:44:39 EST 2013

Hi

Parminder you are right, I was reporting what I was told but had not looked again at DESA statement.  I would think that in saying SGs can resubmit the names of current MAG members for "re-election," they're saying that those who might normally be subject to rotation based on length of service might be retained anyway if a SG expresses continuing support for them (as we know there are people who've been on MAG since the beginning).  I would not think that the statement means, e.g., that people who were just put on the MAG in the last cycle and hence wouldn't be subject to rotation based on length of service need to be re-endorsed.  But who knows, it's UNacracy, one could spend days trying to deconstruct whether the word craft has precise but unstated meanings or was just quickly without deep contemplation…the "re-election" wording would seem consistent with the latter interpretation.

In either scenario, I would think Adam's solution is a sensible way to get this done promptly and focus the noncom's effort on what really needs doing.

On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It says "Can..."
>
> So rather than doing something that as Bill says just makes DESA's job
> harder, how about asking the NomCom to come up with five new names,
> and in add a covering note saying we support the continuation of the
> CS members selected in May 2012 (I think three we proposed, Izumi,
> Bill and Lillian were selected from the names the NomCom selected in
> 2012, and apologies if I missed anyone).  An endorsement.  And ask
> that in their next full year they each report back (or they could
> coordinate and one report back).
>
> Seems the MAGs not been too busy.  But would be very good if the
> digest of MAG mailing list
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/magabout/110-magdigest> could be
> updated again.

Well, debate is starting again on the interim chair position, but until the various SGs complete their own internal off line dialogues and express their preferences (due the 20th) it will be relatively slow…

Bill