[governance] Preliminary List of Nominees for the 2013 MAG - REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 16 05:39:44 EST 2013

That reminds me. I do think that there has been a great slack in the
reporting back from the MAG by selected CS members to different civil
society constituencies, especially the IGC. It used to be much better
earlier. Also, if I remember right, appllicant nominees from IGC had to
give an express undertaking of regular reporting back from the MAG to
the IGC. I think which should do so this time as well.

BTW, there was a rather controversial meeting of the MAG during the IGF
Baku. Much less have a report from it from MAG's CS members, most people
even do not know that such a meeting took place, and that it was rather
controversial n many aspects.

parminder

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 03:57 PM, parminder wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 January 2013 09:31 PM, William Drake wrote:
>> Hi
> <snip>
>>
>> Put all that together, and the recommendation was: come up with like
>> five new names that are not already on the MAG.  Names on a smaller
>> list have a higher probability of being viewed as strongly supported
>> and eventually picked than names on a big long list.
>>
>> The noncom's task will be easier if you skip adding steps DESA didn't
>> ask for like re-certifying extant members, and work off a shorter
>> list with new names…
>
> However the fact is that DESA did ask for, to use your words
> 're-certifying extant members',
>
> Below is an excerpt from the call for renewal (
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/121-preparatory-process/1264-announcement-on-the-mag-
> )
>
> "As in previous years, stakeholder groups can resubmit the names of
> current MAG members for re-election......"
>
> This to me is clearly asking for recertifying extant members. And I
> think it is a healthy practice.... Not that I have anything against
> any extant member.
>
> Accordingly, I think extant members, on their own nomination or of
> other people, should also be considered for nomination, as is the
> express desire of UNDESA. And this has always been the practice.
>
> parminder
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Jan 15, 2013, at 7:32 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt
>> <toml at communisphere.com <mailto:toml at communisphere.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> IGC List Members,
>>>
>>> The below 36 people have been self nominated or were nominated by
>>> another IGC member to be on the 2013 MAG (the Internet Governance
>>> Forum's Multistakeholder Advisory Group).
>>>
>>> It's a far larger list than any previous one with which I am
>>> familiar. And the Nominating Committee has very little time to make
>>> a selection.
>>>
>>> So that we may properly review all eligible candidates, the
>>> Nominating Committee would greatly appreciate your addressing the
>>> following as soon as practicable.
>>>
>>>   * If you are*not on this* list and were inadvertently left off,
>>>     please inform the NomCom immediately.
>>>   * If you are *on the list* and wish to be removed - that is, you
>>>     do not wish to serve on the 2013 MAG - please inform the NomCom
>>>     as soon as possible.
>>>   * Those indicating an interest in serving on the MAG and wishing
>>>     to send supporting documents, or having others send supporting
>>>     documents to their nominations, should assure their arrival by
>>>     c.o.b. Thursday.  This is extremely tight but we must have the
>>>     final decision completed by Saturday with nominations to IGF by
>>>     January 21.
>>>
>>> The preliminary full list of nominees are:

> [...]
>>> 11. Ginger Paque
>>> 12. Graciela Selaimen
>>> 13. Hempal Shrestha
>>> 14. Imran Ahmed  Shah