[governance] WG on enhanced cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jan 14 08:32:35 EST 2013

David Allen <David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> The InterSessional of the CSTD, held in Lima last week, made clear
> that there will be new WG on enhanced cooperation.

Actually that was decided by the UN General Assembly last year,
as part of the resolution titled “Information and communications
technologies for development” (A/RES/67/195).

The key paragraphs of that resolution read:

    Reiterating the significance and urgency of the process towards
    enhanced cooperation in full consistency with the mandate provided
    in the Tunis Agenda and the need for enhanced cooperation to enable
    Governments, on an equal footing, to carry out their roles and
    responsibilities in respect of international public policy issues
    pertaining to the Internet, but not in respect of the day-to-day
    technical and operational matters that have no impact on those
    issues,

    Reaffirming that the outcomes of the World Summit on the
    Information Society related to Internet governance, namely, the
    process towards enhanced cooperation and the convening of the
    Internet Governance Forum, are to be pursued by the
    Secretary-General through two distinct processes, and recognizing
    that the two processes may be complementary,

    23. Decides to create a working group on enhanced cooperation,
    within the framework of the Commission on Science and Technology
    for Development, to examine the mandate of the World Summit on the
    Information Society regarding enhanced cooperation, as contained in
    paragraphs 68 to 71 of the Tunis Agenda, and recommends necessary
    steps to operationalize it; the Working Group should submit its
    report to the Commission, at its seventeenth session, in 2014, as
    part of the preparations for the high-level review conference;

    24. Also decides, in that regard, that the membership of the
    working group shall comprise four members each from the five
    regional groups of the membership of the Commission on Science and
    Technology for Development and four participants each, to be
    decided by the Commission, from the private sector, civil society,
    the technical and academic community and intergovernmental
    organizations;

How quickly will they move forward with creating that commission, which
implies inter alia selecting the four civil society invitees?

We need to have a valid nomcom in place for making recommendations for
those four civil society spots.

Given that the target date by which that WG is intended to be able to
deliver its results seems to be something like May 2014, I would expect
them to want to move forward quickly.

Anyone who has attended the Lima CSTD Intersessional might be able to
tell us more about the specific plans. Since I don't know about anyone
from Civil Society having been there, I'll ask the Swiss government.

In any case I think that it would be best to initiate the nomcom
selection process immediately, with a specific-task-nomcom so that this
doesn't have to wait until after the charter amendment ballot has
been held and has ended.

Greetings,
Norbert