[governance] Notice to the IGC on Proposed Charter Amendments

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 02:08:13 EST 2013

Dear Jeremy,
support your proposed amendment.
However,
technically, at any time, the last election that represents the election for
the last coordinator, but actually a every next election will replace the
previously elected coordinator. So, we have to consider the term period
completion of the previous coordinator. In addition to this, there may be some
cases such as any coordinator term may be for one year (as described in the
Charter) the coordinators election may be required earlier.
So, I would suggest to review '15 months of
the previous election' and rephrase it accordingly.
Currently the charter <http://igcaucus.org/charter>
reads as:
"The selection will be done by on-line voting using the voting process according
to the following formula:
* election of the coordinator will be held, whenever possible by midsummer (the
summer solstice). If events prevent an election by midsummer, it will be held
as soon after midsummer as possible."
It may be amended as:
"The selection will be done by on-line voting using the voting process according to the following formula:
 *
election of the coordinator will be held, whenever possible by the ending of
the term period of the "outgoing coordinator". If events prevent an
election by the completion of term, it will be held as soon after then."
Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah

>________________________________

    time.  Here are the other amendments that I would like to propose be
    added to the ballot:

>	* Under "Selection of Coordinators", regarding when elections are held, change "by midsummer (the summer solstice) to "within 15 months of the previous election".  Also in "If events prevent an election by midsummer, it will be held as soon after midsummer as possible," change the word "midsummer" to "then" in both places.
>The last of these, in particular, should be a no-brainer.
>

>--
>
>Dr Jeremy Malcolm
>Senior Policy Officer
>Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for
          consumers
>Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
>Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala
        Lumpur, Malaysia