[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] Future Internet Architectures Aim to Better Serve Billions of Tablets and Smartphones

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:06:00 EST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: dewayne-net at warpspeed.com [mailto:dewayne-net at warpspeed.com] On Behalf
Of Dewayne Hendricks
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:40 AM
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Future Internet Architectures Aim to Better Serve
Billions of Tablets and Smartphones

[Note:  This item comes from friend Mike Cheponis.  DLH]

From: Michael Cheponis <michael.cheponis at gmail.com>
Subject: Future Internet Architectures Aim to Better Serve Billions of
Tablets and Smartphones | MIT Technology Review
Date: January 10, 2013 10:12:30 AM PST
To: dewayne at warpspeed.com

Your Gadgets Are Slowly Breaking the Internet The Internet isn't robust
enough for the ongoing explosion of connected devices. Now labs around the
country are scrambling for solutions.
By David Talbot
January 9, 2013
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/509721/your-gadgets-are-slowly-breakin
g-the-internet/>

Behind all the dazzling mobile-ready electronics products on display at the
Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week is a looming problem: how
to make the networks that support all these wireless devices function
robustly and efficiently.

With less fanfare than you'd see in Vegas, potential solutions are arising
in labs in Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and New Brunswick, New Jersey. The grand
challenge is to overhaul the Internet to better serve an expected flood of
15 billion network-connected devices by 2015-many of them mobile-up from
five billion today, according to Intel estimates.

The Internet was designed in the 1960s to dispatch data to fixed addresses
of static PCs connected to a single network, but today it connects a riot of
diverse gadgets that can zip from place to place and connect to many
different networks.

As the underlying networks have been reworked to make way for new
technologies, some serious inefficiencies and security problems have arisen
(see "The Internet is Broken"). "Nobody really expects the network to crash
when you add one more device," says Peter Steenkiste, computer scientist at
Carnegie Mellon University. "But I do have a sense this is more of a
creeping problem of complexity."

Over the past year, fundamentally new network designs have taken shape and
are being tested at universities around the United States under the National
Science Foundation's Future Internet Architecture Program, launched in 2010.
One key idea is that users should be able to obtain data from the nearest
location-not seek it from some specific data center at a fixed address.

"Today I have on my desk a smartphone, a tablet, and a Mac computer.  To
move data between them, the request goes all the way to the cloud-God knows
where that is-so it can come back here to another device that is two feet
away," says Lixia Zhang, a computer scientist at the University of
California, Los Angeles. "That is wrong, it is simply wrong."

 Things would work quite differently under the Named Data Networking (NDN)
project that Zhang heads. Under NDN, users request desired data by their
names, instead of the IP address where they can be found. Using data names
could, among other things, allow easy sharing of data directly between
devices. "In the end, I think we can improve the speed, throughput and
overall efficiency. Today you have many data centers that can have thousands
of people asking for same piece of data.  An NDN network just find the
nearest copy of that data," says Zhang.  "Conceptually this is pretty
simple, but it is really a revolution."

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>